Bossam, which is essentially a pork belly wrap, is a popular Korean dish that is often accompanied with alcohol. The way to eat bossam is by taking a piece of lettuce and placing a piece of pork belly in it, then topping it with any variety of banchan you like. Some examples of banchan that we love with our bossams include kimchi, saeujeot (salted shrimp), and raw garlic. The lettuce adds a light refreshing element in contrast to the warm and tender pork belly, while the banchans provides an extra depth in flavor. This is definitely an interactive eating experience and is great done amongst friends and family!
Serves:4 // Prep Time:15 minutes // Cook Time:40 minutes
- 5-600g of whole pork belly (with skin)
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 chive
- 1 large onion
- 1 Korean green onion
- 2-3 large pieces of cabbage (enough to cover top of pork belly)
- 1 apple
- 3 tablespoons of traditional-style doenjang (soybean paste)
- 2-3 bay leaves (optional)
- 4 tablespoons of cooking wine
- Black pepper (to your liking)
- Korean Chili Sauce or XXX Chili Sauce if you like extra spice!
- Rinse the pork in water to remove any impurities and blood.
- Clean the onion with skin on.
- Clean the Korean green onion.
- Do not cut off the tip of the garlic, wash thoroughly.
- Cut the apple into 1/4 inch slices
- In a large bowl, season the pork belly with traditional-style doenjang, garlic, cooking wine, and black pepper
- Place in the onion and Korean green onion, making sure to cover the bottom of the pot. Put the pork belly in, and layer the cabbage and apple slices evenly on top. If you have bay leaves, put those in as well.
- Set instant pot pressure to high and cook for 40 minutes. You will know it's ready when the juices and liquids appear to seep out.
- Using gloves, carefully remove the pork belly from the pot.
- Cut pork belly into 1/4 inch slices and plate it to finish.
- Serve hot with side of banchan and either the Korean Chili Sauce or XXX Chili Sauce.
Give this recipe a shot and let us know what you like best in your bossam! 🤤
Shop This Recipe