Are you tired of eating the same ham and cheese sandwich? Let’s spice things up and create some Shrimp Po Boys ! 🍤It’s one of the many soul-enriching Southern foods loaded with varying textures and flavors that will excite you to recreate this recipe for your next meal ! 😋
Serves: 3 / Prep Time: 15 min / Cook Time: 20 min
- 4 French loaves split horizontally (8 in long)
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 45 raw medium shrimp (2 lbs) peeled, deveined, and tail off
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup buttermilk
- shredded iceberg lettuce
- sliced tomatoes
- canola/vegetable oil
- dill pickles for garnish
- 3 tbsp XXX Sauce
- Kimchi Mayo
- Mix salt, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper together. Divide the spice mixture in half.
- Season the shrimp with the first half of the spice mixture.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, and the second half of the spice mixture together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk and XXX Sauce.
- Dip the seasoned shrimp in the buttermilk, then coat the shrimp with the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. If you prefer a thicker coating, repeat this step.
- Chill the shrimp in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Pour the oil into a deep, wide pot with a depth of about 2 in. Heat the oil to 350° F.
- Working in batches, fry the shrimp until golden brown. This will take about 3-4 minutes per batch.
- Transfer the shrimp onto the paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Build your sandwich on the French bread and layer it with Kimchi Mayo, sliced lettuce, tomato, and pickles. Finally, top off the sandwich with a pile of fried shrimp and extra Kimchi Mayo / XXX Sauce.
Say goodbye to your boring Ham and Cheese sandwich. Say hello to crunchy, crispy, and juicy goodness with Shrimp Po Boys! 🍤
Shop This Recipe